For anyone who is feeling a bit overwhelmed by their job or unsure of how to progress their career, the Christmas period can give a bit of space to have a think. But what if the thinking only gets you more confused? Maybe the Find Your Wings elves can help!
One of the most common reasons for feeling unsettled at work is because you’ve lost focus on why you’re there. Not what your job is, but what it’s giving you and why that’s important to you.
So if you are a reflective mood over Christmas, try doing this exercise to help you turn your career focus back onto you:
- Think of yourself in the future, to a time when you believe you’ll be achieving your career goals. It doesn’t have to be specific, just a future version of you.
- While thinking of your future self, pad out some details: Where do you live? Who do you live with? What your place like? What sort of work are you doing? Where are you working? What does it feel like when you’re at work? What do you wear? How do you look and feel? What do you do in your free time? When you have a little extra money, what do you treat yourself to? Try to fill in as many details as you can to make this future as real as possible.
If you’d prefer to listen to this exercise as a visualisation, then just play this clip.
- Once you have your future day in your mind’s eye, think of your current career and decide how this career is helping you achieve that future vision. Does it give you opportunities to learn the skills you’ll need for your future? Does it allow you to travel to the place that you’d like to live in the future? Does it give you lots of opportunity to grow your build your network?
- Now that you can see how your future and your present are linked, what is one thing that you could do to move you closer to your chosen future?
- Make that thing the goal for your next career decision.
If this doesn’t come easily or if you’d like to do more refocusing and foundation building work on your career, then the book, ADAPT, GROW, THRIVE; how to supercharge your career is a great place to start. These types of topics are the ones we cover right at the start of the book, and you can move through it at your own pace.
How else can the elves help you this Christmas?
Book a Career Quickfire session
A 20minute session, focused on getting you back on track with some practical, quick advice.
Do it in your own time.. with the book
Why not add this to your Christmas list!
Get yourself a career consultation
Maybe you or someone you know could use some dedicated, 1-to-1 support. Message us to arrange a session.